Indulge in the sweet and tangy flavour of homemade lemon blueberry cupcakes with a creamy cream cheese frosting. These cupcakes are the perfect balance of sweet and sour, with a moist and fluffy texture that will melt in your mouth. The fresh blueberries add a burst of juicy sweetness, while the lemon zest gives a bright and refreshing citrus kick.
Baking with frozen BC blueberries is a great way to enjoy the taste of blueberries year-round. Frozen BC blueberries can be used in a variety of baked goods, including muffins, cakes, pies, pancakes and cupcakes! Bremner Foods is a BC business based in Delta, BC offering frozen BC Blueberries. We picked up a bag from our local Choices Market in Kelowna.
When baking with frozen blueberries, it’s important to note that they will release more juice than fresh blueberries, which can affect the texture of your baked goods. To prevent this, you can toss the frozen blueberries in flour or cornstarch before adding them to your batter. This will help to absorb the excess juice and keep your baked goods from becoming too soggy.
Another tip for baking with frozen blueberries is to be careful not to overmix the batter. Overmixing can cause the blueberries to burst and turn your baked goods purple. So, once you have added the frozen blueberries to the batter, gently fold them in until just combined.
Of course, you can go ahead and use fresh BC Blueberries when they are available, too.
LOCAL BC BUSINESSES WE SUPPORTED IN THIS RECIPE
Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes
These homemade Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes bring together a sweet and tangy flavour with a delicious cream cheese frosting.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ Tbsp lemon zest
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup Blueberries and 1Tbsp flour
- 8oz full fat cream cheese
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar (Icing sugar)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350F on bake. Line a 12-count standard muffin pan with paper liners. Set pan aside.
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium size bowl. Use a whisk to mix together the all-purpose flour, cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Fit a paddle attachment to a hand held or stand-up mixer. Beat the butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and lemon zest on medium-high speed for 2-3 minutes until creamed with a light and fluffy appearance.
- Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as required with a rubber spatula. Adjust the mixer to medium speed. Add the eggs one at a time and then add the vanilla. Mix well between the addition of each egg. Add lemon juice and mix until well incorporated.
- Set mixer to low speed. Alternate adding half the buttermilk and half the reserved dry ingredients, until all the buttermilk and dry ingredients are just combined. Do not over mix.
- In a separate bowl toss the blueberries with 1 Tbsp of flour. Add the blueberries to the cake batter, and gently fold them into the batter using a rubber spatula. Scoop batter into prepared muffin pan filling each muffin tin ¾ full.
- Place muffins on the center rack of preheated oven and bake for 18-22 minutes. The cupcakes are done, when a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcakes pulls out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven, and allow them to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to complete the cooling process.
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Fit a paddle attachment to a hand held or stand-up mixer. Set the mixer to high speed. Beat the cream cheese until smooth and creamy for 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides as required. Add the butter and continue to mix for 1 minute until well incorporated. Reduce the speed to low and add the icing sugar, vanilla, lemon juice, lemon zest, and salt. Mix for 1 minute and then increase the speed to high for an additional minute.
- Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes. Garnish with lemon slices and blueberries. Enjoy!
Fantastic BC Brands featured in this recipe:
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 459Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 314mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 1gSugar: 43gProtein: 4g